Fire Extinguisher Inspection Requirements
There are nearly 20,000 commercial fires in the UK each year, demonstrating the importance of taking fire prevention measures in business premises.
So, what are the legal obligations of building or business owners regarding fire extinguishers?
Visual Fire Extinguisher Inspections
Once a month, business owners must perform a visual inspection of the portable fire extinguishers in the workplace. When visually inspecting a fire extinguisher, business owners should:
· Look for any signs of physical damage, such as leaks, dents, or corrosion
· Check the pressure gauge to ensure that the indicator is in the operating range
· Check to make sure the pull-pin seal is still intact
· Verify the date of the last professional inspection
· Initial and date the back of the tag to mark the monthly visual inspection
Fire Extinguisher Maintenance Inspections
Fire extinguisher maintenance inspections should be performed on an annual basis by a professional fire protection company that has the appropriate tools and training to ensure the fire extinguisher is code compliant
Fire Extinguisher Internal Maintenance Inspections
Similar to maintenance inspections, internal maintenance inspections for fire extinguishers should be performed by a professional fire protection company every 5, 6, or 12 years, depending on the type of fire extinguisher.